Children represent the largest population of bicyclists in the United States. Here are some keys to riding safely:
- Wear the proper gear, including a properly fitted helmet. Helmets have been proven to reduce the risk of head and brain injury as much as 88 percent. Click Here for instructions on how to fit a helmet.
- See and Be Seen! Wear reflective clothing so you can be easily visible.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Remember bicycles are recognized as vehicles in the state of Florida. So, they must obey the same traffic signs and signals.
- Place a white front light and at least one red reflector light on the back of your bike.
Walking can be an enjoyable way to get from here to there. It is important to understand how to be a safe pedestrian:
- When crossing the street, look LEFT, RIGHT, then LEFT again.
- Use the crosswalk when crossing the street.
- Make eye contact to make sure the driver of a car can see you.
- Wear reflective clothing to make sure that you can be seen by motorists and bicyclists.